Everybody who has Bitcoins or invested in it or its future is hyping that now is the time for bitcoin because they say that after the hearings about bitcoins in the US senate it will only be months before it will be a real money accepted by the US
do not forget that those hyping this - without any critical thinking (and most of the techies in the business and normal press just following the hype( just as before 2008 with the liberalisation of finance) - have REAL financial interest into hyping this. The course of the Bitcoin has exploded since the mass hypnotization has started and this means that they have become 'virtual' millionaires because they have bought bitcoins when nobody wanted them (at a dollar a piece). Some of them are already unloading (part) of their holding and cashing in (before the lemmings start looking for an exit and find all doors closed or non-existent.
take the following things into consideration
* there is no currency in the world where the scarity of the availability depends on a mathematical formulae and not on a monetarian policy or political decisions. And Bitcoins will become far more scarce because it hasn't been invented to serve several billions of internetusers.
* there is no currency in the world where the exchange rate of the money can not be adapted by the international financial institutions, the central banks or the political decisionmakers
* it is totally against all the recent development that a currency would be totally anonymous and that there would be no taxes or other controls
* there is no currency in the world that has so many inherent securityproblems in even its code, its infrastructure and the way it can be stolen from computers
* there is no currency in the world where the traders or holders of the currency don't have to be controlled and have to abide by a whole set of rules and reglementations just to protect the consumers (us)
* there is no currency in the world that is built upon an extreme libertarian (the most extreme liberal each for itself society) viewpoint of the economy and world
* it is the virtual money by excellence used for online drugs, blackmarket, fraud and other illegal services
* it is the biggest financial bubble that has to be controlled if we want to prevent real negative longterm effects on the real economy if it explodes (in China it is used to buy houses and factories bypassing governmental controls)
but bitcoin shows something else that the official currencies will have to take into consideration
there is need for an international accepted virtual currency for online transactions but that has to be linked to - for example - a basket of real currencies
there is a real to lower the conversioncosts between currencies
bitcoin will have to clean up its act in many different ways if it wants to become some kind of 'accepted' or 'tolerated' virtual money but if it wants to become the money of the internet it will have to change so dramatically that it will not be a bitcoin anymore (like the US Federal Bank says in its report, something better needs to be found)
so, don't believe the hype (if there is hype, there is someone who has interest in the hype in the first place)